7zip (2020) Free Download:
7-Zip is a free and well known open source archive: a tool that is used to put groups of files together in compressed containers knows as “archives”. This tool is developed by Igor Pavlov and was first published in 1999. 7zip latest version uses its own 7z file format but can read and write various other file formats. 7zip (2020) can be used from a command-line interface such as the p7zip command, or through a graphical user interface that also includes shell integration. Most of the 7-Zip source code is licensed under GNU LGPL; the unRAR code, however, is under GNU LGPL with an “unRAR constraint”, which states that developers cannot use the code to reverse engineer the RAR compression algorithm.
7-Zip is a utility program to help you extract archives and create your own archives in several different formats. With these tools, you can easily send large amounts of information or open compressed files that you receive without problems.
Main Features of 7-Zip (Latest) Free Download:
- Localizations for 87 languages.
- Powerful file manager
- Strong AES-256 encryption in 7z and ZIP formats
- Integration with Windows Shell
- Powerful command-line version
- Plugin for FAR Manager
- Self-extracting capacity for 7z format
- For GZIP and ZIP formats, 7-Zip provides a compression rate of 2 to 10% better than the rate provided by PKZip and WinZip
- It has a high compression ratio in 7z format with LZMA2 and LZMA2 compression
- It is supported formats: (1) Packing/unpacking: 7z, BZIP2, XZ, GZIP, TAR, ZIP and WIM (2) Unpacking only: AR, CAB, CHM, ARJ, CPIO, CramFS, DMG, EXT, FAT, GPT, HFS, IHEX, ISO, LZH, LZMA, MBR, MSI, NSIS, NTFS, RPM, QCOW2, RAR, SquashFS, UDF, UEFI, VDI, VHD, VMDK, WIM, XAR and Z.
- 7-Zip works in Windows 2000 / 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016 / XP / Vista / 7 / 8 / 10.
Pros And Cons:
- Format options: This program can manage various compression formats. You can package files in 7z, ZIP, GZIP, BZIP2 and TAR formats, and you can unzip them all, plus ARJ, CAB, CHM, CPIO, DEB, DMG, etc.
- Advanced Capabilities: This app is simple enough for novice users to have no trouble accessing its basic functionality. But for more advanced users, there are also other options that further improve this program. These include the ability to create self-extracting 7z files and the ability to add password protection to archives.
- Compression process: The compression process used by this application takes longer than the processes of some alternative programs. Compressions performed through 7-Zip also require a lot of system resources as they go.
- BOTTOM LINE 7-Zip is completely free to download and use, and its many advantages far outweigh the few minor disadvantages that come with it. If you are looking for an alternative to WinZip or another similar program, this is a good option to consider.